There's no question, technology has changed the way we live. It's allowed us to streamline activities and gain more time. But for many children today, it's given them more time for unhealthy habits, such as sitting in front of the television or computer for hours on end when they should be exercising. Not a healthy habit since it may take them away from the 60 minutes of exercise experts say kids need each day.
What if you could find a way to move your children, literally? By spending more time with them and getting them off the couch? Here are some smart ideas to bring you and your children together with exercise:
- Turn on your kids' favorite music and have a household dance party.
- Take the family for a bike ride on a safe and scenic bike trail.
- Park further away from the stores at malls to encourage more walking.
- Sign up for a group activity, such as yoga or Zumba.
- Shoot baskets in your driveway or at a nearby playground.
- Take the dog on long walks together.
- Walk for a cause. There is no shortage of fun walks to bring people together for a cause, such as a breast cancer or diabetes walk.
- Get a family membership at a local gym and go swimming.
- Turn household chores into exercise opportunities. Blast fun music while vacuuming and dusting.
- Visit a local track and have family races.
- Once you identify activities you will all enjoy, do the following:
- Pick the same time to exercise every day. Kids need routines and an exercise routine is a great way to show them your commitment to their health and family time.
- Allow each family member a turn at picking the exercise activity.
- Let your kids invite their friends from time to time.
- Create a progress/exercise-tracking chart and post it in a central location for all in the family to see.
- Buy each family member a pedometer and award a prize for the person who takes the most steps each week.
For more great ideas on how to make exercising fun for kids, visit the government website, letsmove.gov.